News and Alerts
- May 2018: Exotic and Wild Animal Attractions. . . Coming to Your Local Fair. Click here to find out what you can do to help.
- April 21, 2017: PAWS statement on Los Angeles City Council motion regarding Asian elephant Billy. Click here to read.
- April 2017: Special Veterinary Care For Tiger Roy. Click here to read.to read.
January 25, 2017: A ribbon-cutting ceremony at ARK 2000 marked the official opening of The Pat Derby Animal Wellness Center named in honor of PAWS' co-founder the late Pat Derby. Click here for more information on the 1,800 sq. ft. veterinary facility.
- August 29, 2016: Governor Brown signs California bullhook ban. Read here.
February 16, 2016: California Senator Ricardo Lara introduces SB 1062, legislation to ban the elephant bullhook in California. Click here for more information. Find out who supports this bill by clicking here. Find answers to frequently asked questions about the bullhook here.
November 23, 2015: PAWS, working with Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF), People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and a private attorney, submits comments to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) regarding U.S. zoos' request to import elephants from Swaziland. Click here to read.
- September 15, 2015: FAQs - Fire Preparedness at the Performing Animal Welfare Society's ARK 2000 Sanctuary.
- July 7, 2015: An impressive list of entertainment industry professionals support SB 716, the California bill that would ban the elephant bullhook in California. Read their letter and see who has signed on. Click here.
- May 22, 2015: California Senate passes SB 716, bill to prohibit use of bullhooks on elephants. Read more here. To view a list of supporters of SB 716 click here. More organizations support SB 716. View the list, current as of July 26, 2015, here.
- April 1, 2015: PAWS has once again received Charity Navigator's coveted 4-star rating for sound fiscal management and commitment to accountability and transparency. Read the letter we received from Charity Navigator CEO John P. Dugan.
- March 5, 2015: Hollywood celebrities partner with PAWS in support of California AB 96. Read their letter here.
- January 29, 2015: PAWS collaborates with 36 elephant experts, conservationists and animal care, policy and welfare professionals from around the world to send a letter to the Zimbabwe Ambassador to the United States, Ammon Mutembwa, condemning the export of more than 60 wild-caught elephant calves and other wildlife rounded up in Hwange National Park. Read the letter here. Click here to read Ambassador Mutembwa's response, which includes a letter and a disturbing position statement on the sale of live animals.
- December 14, 2014: PAWS collaborates with some of the world's leading elephant experts, conservationists and animal care, policy and welfare professionals in sending a letter to the government of Zimbabwe opposing the export of more than 30 wild-caught elephant calves and other wildlife rounded up in Hwange National Park. Read the letter here.
- November 8, 2014: PAWS was proud to present the first Youth Poet Laureate of Los Angeles, Amanda Gorman, who drew a standing ovation at our 30th Anniversary Gala on November 8, 2014, for her poem specially penned for the event, “Things We Will Never See.” Read Amanda's poetry here.
- June 11, 2014: Attention Southern California residents - please attend City Council meeting to defend prohibition on exotic animal exhibitions.
- May 14, 2014: Speakers announced for PAWS 2014 International Captive Wildlife Conference, Nov. 8-10, Burbank, Calif.
- May 2014: Sponsorship opportunities now available for PAWS' 30th Anniversary Gala Celebration Nov. 8, and PAWS' 2014 International Captive Wildlife Conference, Nov. 8-10, Burbank, Calif.
- April 9, 2014: LA children's fair to feature elephant rides. Please voice your opposition.
- March 28, 2014: Victory — no elephant rides at this year's San Diego County Fair!
- March 24, 2014: Shrine Circus in LA stops use of animals for first time in 88 years.
- African elephant Lulu is voted this year's Ms. TUSKany. View photos from PAWS' annual Elephant Grape Stomp, An Afternoon In TUSKany, here.
- Ed Stewarts writes letter to Niabi Zoo director regarding elephants Sophie and Babe. Read here.
- PAWS files ethics complaint with AZA against Have Trunk Will Travel. View letter here.
- PAWS' Catherine Doyle pens letter to the editor of the Union newspaper regarding elephant rides at the 2013 Nevada County Fair.
On behalf of everyone at the Performing Animal Welfare Society, I extend our deepest sympathy to the staff of the Franklin Zoo, the community, and friends and family on the tragic loss of Dr. Helen Schofield. Elephants are magnificent and complex animals, so one can only speculate as to the emotional state of Mila at the time of this terrible accident. However, Dr. Schofield’s commitment to the care and well-being of Mila was clearly evident in her work with her and was indeed inspirational. Helen Schofield will be remembered with the highest regard by elephant care-giver professionals around the world. — Pat Derby
- "War Elephants" premiers April 22nd on National Geographic Wild. Check your local provider for times. "In Mozambique’s Gorongosa National Park, elephants are in crisis: Years
of civil war and ivory poaching have left them frightened and hostile toward
humans. In a new National Geographic Television film, the world’s foremost
elephant researcher Dr. Joyce Poole, in a documentary by her
brother, cameraman Bob Poole, works to build trust and retrain
the animals away from their violent behavior."
- PAWS featured on Exploratorium Museum's Explo.TV. View video Big Love here.
PAWS' co-founder, the late Pat Derby, talks about the latest captive wildlife news at PAWS.
PAWS IN THE NEWS
The Dark Side of
By Michael J.
Part 1: Elephants are dying out in America's
Part 2: Elephant havens face zoo-industry
The Seattle Times reports it confronted a significant hurdle in examining elephant deaths in U.S.
zoos — The industry doesn't comprehensively track elephant births and deaths. Read more. .
From CBC Television
THE FIFTH ESTATE
"THE ELEPHANT IN THE
Bob McKeown reports on the
controversy over what to do with older elephants when they are ready to
Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4
Huffington Post LIVE
"ELEPHANTS AND CIRCUSES"
LA is considering
banning elephants in traveling circuses to prevent animal cruelty. This program
asked the question: "Is it time to stop using pachyderms in the name of
entertainment?" Catherine Doyle, PAWS Director of Science, Research and
Advocacy, was a panel member. View the online discussion.